Skip to main content
The University of Missouri Police Department (MUPD) has grown and improved since its beginnings. Originally established as the Traffic Safety and Security Department in 1954, the staff consisted of watchmen, with one officer. Chief Richard Long was the first head of the department which was located in the temporary Army barracks behind Waters Hall. Since then, we were moved around campus several times until finally being assigned to the basement of the General Services Building. Our department was located in this same location for over two decades. In April of 2002 we moved into our new state of the art headquarters located in Virginia Avenue Garage. Our new location puts us closer to our MU community, and provides us with resources to better serve our community.
Department Heads and Highlights
1954-1961 Chief Richard LongFoot patrol or motorcycles were the modes of transportation used until 1960, when the first patrol cars were purchased.
1961-1968 Chief Bernard BrannonThe department began 24-hour operations in 1964, with a partial day on Sunday.
1968 Interim Chief Ronald E Mason
1968-1970 Chief Harvey Cottle
1970 Assistant Director Gordon Gear
1970-1972 Chief Sterling BakerIn September 1971, our name was changed to the University Police Department.
1972-1995 Chief Ronald E Mason
1995-1996 Chief CG McLaughlin Jr
1996-1998 Interim Chief J Scott Shelton
June 1998-2003 Chief Fred Otto III
July 2003-2015 Chief Jack Watring
August 2015-Present Chief R Douglas Schwandt
Our department currently consists of 40 commissioned personnel, 8 security officers, 8 dispatchers, plus administrative staff. We are located in the the southeast corner of the Virginia Avenue Garage. Our campus is divided into 2 districts for patrols, and is serviced by patrol vehicles, bike patrol, and foot patrol.